The application for the 2022 season will open in the summer of 2021! Check out our social media for updates on our residents and the Made In Paint exhibition, which is still on view, virtually at thesagg.org.
Artists are selected through a competitive selection process. Portfolios of submitted images will be judged by an independent committee comprised of highly regarded art professionals. During this first round, artists will be selected solely on the basis of their portfolio. References will be contacted for those artists in the final round.
General Applicant Restrictions:
- The residency is restricted to professional artists, 25 years of age or older, working in paint.
- The Golden Foundation Residency does not accept applications from commercial artists.
- The Golden Foundation Residency does not fund travel expenses, or pay for the cost of commissions or projects ordered by others.
2020 Residency Sessions:
March 1 – March 28
April 13 – May 10
May 17 – June 13
June 21 – July 18
August 9 – September 5
September 13 – October 10
How to Apply
Residency applications are accepted only through our online application system. This system will require you to create a user account, which will enable you to save a partially completed application and return to it later.
We strongly recommend that all applicants download a copy of the Residency Application & Instructions document prior to starting the application process (FYI: this is a model from 2017. This year’s application will look slightly different). You may download this document by clicking here. In addition to answering common questions, this document identifies all of the information you will need to gather in order to complete the application.
Digital Image Guidelines
The application will require that you upload 8 digital images for review by the selection committee. Before starting the online application, we encourage all applicants to make certain that these files are correctly formatted.
- Images must be submitted as jpegs only.
- Slideshows and Powerpoint presentations are not accepted.
- Each jpeg may be no larger than 1600 pix in any direction.
- Image resolution must be between 72 and 100 dpi.
- Each file must be less than 3MB.
- Each file must be labeled with the applicant’s last name and image number Example: SMITHJ1.JPG, SMITHJ2.JPG
A complete application must contain the following information and files:
- Contact and biographical information.
- Artist statement.
- Eight digital image files of your work. Detailed requirements for images are outlined below.
- Three references whom we may contact. References will only be contacted for applicants in the final round.
- Current resume or CV in pdf format.
- Applicants have the option of submitting up to three letters of recommendation. Please use pdf format.
- A $30 application fee, charged at the end of the application process, payable via credit card.
If you encounter a technical issue while filling out the application, please try logging into the application in a different browser (Fire Fox, Google Chrome, Safari, etc.). For further information regarding the application, please contact us by email at email@example.com
All correspondence, technical assistance, workshops, and lectures are provided in English only. Program parameters are based on available funding and other conditions, and thus are subject to change.