In 2012 the Sam & Adele Golden Foundation for the Arts opened its doors to a one-of a-kind artist residency for artists working in paint. In the beautiful rolling hills of central New York and just several hundred yards from the Golden Artist Colors manufacturing facility, a 19th century barn has been transformed into a 21st century artist residency, with large studio spaces and private apartments for each artist. Artists-in-residence will participate in a completely unique opportunity to explore the widest, most innovative range of materials and technology available today for professional artists working with paint.
The Golden Foundation Residency Program is specifically designed to assist the professional artist in discovering and exploring a wide array of materials and technologies available today.
Photo: Artists in residency Meeting with the Material and Application Specialist @ Golden Artist Colors.
Our residencies are based on the exploration of innovative uses in waterborne materials, oil paint technology, and now, PanPastel. Residents will discover processes that will challenge the way they think about art materials. They will be introduced to resources that will open up advanced methods and new channels for expression in the creative process.
The Golden Foundation will be offering six Exploratory Residency sessions this year. Each session will last four weeks, with up to three artists per session. ￼
Photo: Lab team @ Golden Artists Colors visiting Artists’ studios.
2024 Residency Sessions:
February 25 – March 23
April 21 – May 18
May 26 – June 22
June 30 – July 27
September 8 – October 5
October 20 – November 16
Included in Residency
- A complete survey of the wide range of materials produced by Golden Artist Colors, (acrylic, watercolor, pastel, oil paint and mediums)
- An introduction to custom and experimental products
- An introduction to the Golden Artist Colors laboratories and manufacturing facilities
- Opportunities to consult with paint technicians an formulators
- A supply of acrylic, watercolor, pastel, and oil paint materials
- 24/7 access to 900-1,200 sp. ft. open studio space (Due to shared open studio space, solvent use will be limited.)
- A spacious, private apartment with its own full bath
- Access to a fully-equipped shared kitchen, laundry facilities, wireless internet access, and spacious common areas
- 140 acres of pastoral meadows, woodland trails, and meandering brooks
The Golden Foundation’s goal, since inception, has been to reduce and eventually eliminate the fees for artists to attend the residency. 2017 marked the Golden Foundation’s 20th anniversary, and we celebrated with an art auction! This auction raised enough dollars to allow all artists in the future to come to the residency at no cost. We hope to continue this tradition for years to come.
All artists accepted into the residency program receive a generous supply of paint and material technical support.
Artists are responsible for their food expenses and preparation as well as travel expenses to and from the residency.
Artists should plan to bring their own tools and substrates.
Upon acceptance to the Golden Foundation Residency, a $250 deposit will be required of all residents.
The Selection Process
The Exploratory Residency applicants will be selected through a competitive juried process using SlideRoom. The selections will be made by a committee consisting primarily of artists and art professionals of distinction. The committee’s criteria will focus on the quality of the submitted work.
The Sam & Adele Golden Foundation for the Arts, Inc. is a 501 c(3) non-profit organization.